Monday, October 16, 2006

Bunch of San Diego Tech Companies - AeA Awards

Been noticing a lot of traffic on my blog and I have not kept on posting, will try and keep it up do date. I have a lot of new content from the AeA High Tech Awards. I had a chance to visit with most of the CEO's since I see them when they do the video taping. We had some interesting winners this year!! Judges are last years winners and we often get a couple of surprises.

I am going to risk leaving some companies out, but would like to cover what I thought were some of the more compelling companies that were finalists this year.

ESET - I thought I knew all the San Diego Companies in the Web security space, but had not heard about ESET until a few months ago. They have some good traffic going through thier website (as well as revenue!!) I have met Rick Moy, VP of Marketing a few times. Any company that is succesful against the big guys in this space has my respect. With increasing revenue, they are moving out of thier Coronodo digs. I would keep an eye on this company, good international team and some good revenue growth. In a nod to uber geekiness they even have a page on their web where one of their programmers is caught composing songs about malware and viruses.....Uh...Nigel keep your day job.

Impact Engine. One of the common themes in this years AeA awards was the niche markets San Diego software companies were filling. Impact Engine is a good example of this. I often wondered about banner ads and the economics behind them. Impact Engine is going to put a whole bunch of spoiled HTML/XML programmers out of work. They create banner ad templates - hundreds of them and also some customization software to go along with it. I have known Neil Greer , the founder and CEO from a few other AeA members. He is a smart capable guy who should be able to take this company to the next level. He is just starting to build his team over there.

Entriq. I have been familiar with these folks for some time now, with all the $$$ going into video sites, someone HAS to be able to monetize it. That is where Entriq comes in - they have a very easy to use system to.....not sure how else to say it...get cash for your video. This may become a very crowded space, however Entriq has been around and has the experience and credibility to be a leader in this space. Entriq has also been branching out from its historical strong markets of sports to capture some of the other video opportunities out there.

More later.....just some of the finalists companies that did not win that were worth mentioning

Kevin Carroll




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, i went to the high tech awards - what an event!! Kudos to AeA San Diego for such a well ran smooth event. I enjoyed the video that introduced the winners. Can't wait till next year